World Philosophy Day 2016: let's talk about compassion
We join others around the world to mark World Philosophy Day 2016 on 17 November as a special day dedicated to reflection, dialogue and philosophical teaching.
We at Globethics.net ensure that people in all regions of the world are empowered to reflect and act on ethical issues.
This year, we have asked our Programme Executive Online Ethics Library, Dr Ignace Haaz, to reflect on a specific topic, compassion.
Read "Compassion - A Reflection on the Scottish Enlightenment, German Idealism and Buddhism" by Dr Ignace Haaz (PDF)
As an international network, we believe that our world and especially our leaders need to be more compassionate. Our dream is a world of tolerance and respect. Let's take the opportunity of World Philosophy Day to reflect on how we can show more kindness and empathy to others and to ourselves.
We would like to ask you:
- What does compassion mean to you?
- How important is this value to you and why?
- How could Globethics.net contribute to a more compassionate world?
Further readings on compassion
- Globethics.net paper on Care and Compassion - Methods for Sharing Values across Cultures and Religions (PDF)
- Cisneros, Ariane Hentsch / Premawardhana, Shanta (eds.), Sharing Values. A Hermeneutics for Global Ethics, Globethics.net Global No. 4, 2011.
- Hutton, Kenneth (2009): Ethics in Schopenhauer and Buddhism, PhD thesis, Glasgow Univ.
- Hartmann, Eduard von „Das Moral Prinzip des Mitgefühls" in: Phaenomenologie des sittlichen Bewusstseins: Prolegomena zu jeder künftigen Ethik, Berlin: C. Duncker Verl. 1878, 871pp.
- Impey, Gayle Empathy, Motive and Morality: An Enquiry into the Role of Empathy in Ethics,Thesis Uni. Manchester (UK), 282pp.
- Opøien, Stian Møller, Adam Smith's concept of sympathy and contemporary research on empathy, Master thesis, Univ. of Oslo, 2014, 35pp.
- Partridge, Dawn Elizabeth, Moral sense from the Cambridge platonists to Adam Smith, PhD Thesis, Australian National University, 2014.
- Miller, Monica Jean, Sympathetic Constellations: Toward a Modernist Sympathy, UC Berkeley, PhD Dissertation, 2012.
- Brown, Winter, On Compassion: Sustaining the E Pluribus Unum, PhD dissertation, Duke Univ. 2012