Globethics.net attends the WSIS Forum 2016
The Globethics.net team attended several sessions during the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) Forum from 2 to 6 May 2016 in Geneva, Switzerland. The meetings where held at the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) buildings.
During the Forum, professionals from private, public and non-profit sectors meet to discuss and reflect on how Information and Communication Technology (ICT) can make the world a better place.
As an online platform, Globethics.net is highly involved in making sure that digital tools can be reached by people from the global south. It was therefore important for Globethics.net to engage with international stakeholders and to align with the latest policies, development and guidance regarding IT, including those related to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Globethics.net Executive Directors Christoph Stückelberger and Obiora Ike attended the Official Opening Ceremony which set the priorities of the 2016 Forum. UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon opened remotely the session via video, followed by ITU Secretary-General Houlin Zhao.
Christoph Stückelberger went to two other meetings :
- "Establish an Inclusive, Shared and Open Information Environment. All Enjoy Information Civilization" led by the Internet Society of China - during the Q&A part, he raised the question of how to better combine technologies with educational and ethical efforts.
- "Internet Governance, Security, Privacy and the Ethical Dimension of ICT in 2030" hosted by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Globethics.net Board President Walter Fust, in his private capacity, was one of the panellists on the topic "How e-Government can ensure that no one is left behind in the implementation of the SDGs".
The Globethics.net Communication and Fundraising teams also joined:
- Harnessing ICTs for Greater Access to Education for Girls and Women
- Making ICT Accessibility a Reality: Policies and Standards on the Public Procurement of Accessible ICTs
- Laying the Foundation for SDGs: Role of Smart Sustainable Cities
- SDG 16: promoting Peaceful and Inclusive Knowledge Societies
ICT plays a huge part in implementing the SDGs by improving access, equality and development. Globethics.net fully supports digital innovation but also wants to raise the ethical perspective of online development. Questions of concern include:
- What kind of society do we want and what do we expect from technologies?
- How to become more inclusive towards vulnerable and people with disabilities?
- How to apply data privacy and online security to users?
- Is a common understanding around digital concepts possible?
About the WSIS Forum
The WSIS Forum is a UN Summit which represents the world's largest annual gathering of the "ICT for development" community. This annual event is co-organised by ITU, UNESCO, UNDP and UNCTAD along with WSIS partners.
Ethics in the Information Society: The Nine ‘P's (Globethics.net discussion paper)