Globethics.net Newsletter No 1/2018
ETHICS: Let Us Stand Up and Stand Together
By Christoph Stückelberger, Globethics.net President and Founder
- Empowerment: Those who resist unethical practices in higher education often feel isolated and find themselves among a small minority of people who are concerned and want to act. Knowledge, wisdom, character education and mutual support is empowering.
- Transformation: Higher education is not a goal in itself. It has to serve in transforming human beings and societies towards a life of dignity, justice, equality, peace and ecological sustainability for all.
- Holistic: The current high level of specialisation is a necessity and a danger for effective transformation. Higher education has to become more holistic. The Fourth Industrial Revolution shows that the border between humans and machines is questioned and biology, chemistry and the humanities become very interdependent. Science and the humanities have to interact and ethics is a benchmark for both.
- Integrity: The findings of the latest trust barometer shows a marked decline in trust in leaders in all sectors. Only around half of government, non-governmental organisations, the media and business institutions across the world are trusted by the public. A key priority of higher education must be to build leaders in which people can trust. Integrity character education is the answer!
- Competence: Professional, social, emotional, intercultural and religious competence – as a holistic set of competences – are key for performance, integrity and sustainable transformation. It is better to have a competent person with integrity than a crooked graduate student or teacher with a fake certificate.
- Sustainability: The 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals are built on clear SDG core values. Ethics in higher education directly contributes to the implementation of these SDGs, which are so vital for humanity.
Globethics.net International Conference, 4-7 June 2018
Save the dates for the Globethics.net International Conference from 4-7 June 2018. It will be held in Geneva, Switzerland and will focus on Ethics in Higher Education. Check our Globethics.net website to follow the updates.
Globethics.net in collaboration with CITVN has produced a webcast series on the reading of Pope Francis' environmental encyclical Laudato Si, which has been described as a ‘worldwide wake-up call to help humanity understand the destruction that man is rendering to the environment and his fellow man' ... Read more
The International Institute named after Piritim Sorokin and Nikolay Kondratiev, together with the Institute of Economic Strategies, the partner of Globethics.net in Russia, is holding a round table event on the issues of international and intercultural communication of the Eurasian people. Read more
The International Integrated Reporting Council (IIRC) is organising its first biannual meeting and its Official Conference in February 2018. The event will be held in Tokyo, Japan. ... Read more
We're delighted to announce a book launch together with the author, Dr Josephine Mukabera, lecturer at the Protestant Institute of Arts and Social Sciences in Rwanda. The launch will be held on 19 March 2018 in Geneva, Switzerland. Read more
A new research project has been initiated as a new contribution to methods of post conflict resolution with the aim to inspire future work in the field of anthropology, art and reconciliation. It is the plan for a new book project in the Globethics.net Global Series on the topic of Ethics and Reconciliation in Poetry and Writing for 2017-2018 ... Read more
This thematic collection offers a rich ethical overview of the legal, political, social, financial and ethical aspects of elections, their preparation, conflict resolution and post-election processes. Read more
The Philosophical Ethics collection gathers resources about major themes in philosophical ethics (abbreviation φethics), with a list of some major philosophers' personal webpages, in order to discover φethics, as close as possible... Read more
| || |
Globethics.net has updated the information on copyright for Globethics.net Library submissions reflecting the new CC (Creative Commons) licenses 4.0 International ... Read more
New publications in Chinese
|How can faith be lived at work? How can ethical values be implemented in business? Believers in all religions are searching answers. In Christianity, Christian entrepreneurs and Christian workers encourage each other in associations by conferences, trainings, coaching, Bible studies, prayer, advocacy, philanthropy and publications. This Directory lists about 53 Associations of Christian Entrepreneurs and 17 Associations of Christian workers in order to get inspired and increase networking between them. Read the book in Chinese||Ulrich Zwingli, 1484-1531, was one of the three great protestant Reformers beside Luther and Calvin. His reform influenced the Swiss and European society fundamentally, until today. This book shows the key reform of Zwinglis ethics: the Christian perspective of marriage and family, work ethics and leisure, obedience to the government and solidarity, peace and war as well as the partnership between church and state. Read the book in Chinese||Does faith have any hope to offer a global economy beset by debt and crisis? Richard Higginson pointed out that if we correctly understand the Christian faith, it will become a tremendous good for the global economy. It stimulates businesses, alleviates poverty, promotes integrity, encourages persistence and creates discipleship. This pioneering book will help business professionals think deeply about what they do and what they are motivated behind. Read the book in Chinese|
On 23 January 2018, the Geneva Agape Foundation (GAF), with Globethics.net, held a book launch featuring the latest additions for the Globethics.net China Christian Series.... Read more
Elections (before, during and after) are often periods of severe political, economic and social unrest that generate prime conditions for violent conflicts. In an increasingly polarised world, national elections are also more and more polarised. Read more
On 18-19 January 2018, Globethics.net India in collaboration with the Christ Academy Institute for Advanced Studies and Institute of Law and the Journal of Dharma held the International Conference Advaya 2018.Read more
From 4-9 December 2017, the International Youth Forum on ‘The Future of European and Eurasian Integration: Foresight-2040' was held in Vienna / Laxenburg in Austria. It was initiated by the Institute for Economic Strategies of the Russian Academy of Sciences (INES, Moscow, Russia), partner of Globethics.net in Russia ... Read more