Parliament of the World's Religions
Globethics.net South America, represented by Programme Executive Deivit Montealegre, attended the Parliament of the World's Religions in Torronto, Canada from 1-7 November 2018.
The Parliament of the World's Religions is the largest global interreligious gathering, attended in November 2018 by over 7,000 participants from a total of 80 countries.
It was a great opportunity to interact with a multiplicity of religious actors which share their ethical values and its interest in the Globethics.net initiatives on Ethics in Higher Education. That was the case of the encounter between Globethics.net South America, the International Partnership on Religion and Sustainable Development (PaRD) and KAIROS Canada, which are two important institutions open to cooperate and work on common initiatives for a better understanding of Ethics in Higher Education.
The Parliament of the World's Religions was created to cultivate harmony among the world's religious and spiritual communities and foster their engagement with the world and its guiding institutions in order to achieve a just, peaceful and sustainable world. The 2018 Parliament of the World's Religions was hosted by the city of Toronto at The Metro Toronto Convention Centre (MTCC). Canada, in its distinction as home of the world's most diverse city, will showcase its unique values, achievements, and aspirations as the 7th host of the Parliament of the World's Religions. For its 2018 theme, the Parliament draws from movements of goodwill and cross-cultural respect that are embodied in the spirit of the interfaith movement:
The Promise of Inclusion, the Power of Love: Pursuing Global Understanding, Reconciliation, and Change
The 7th Parliament of the World's Religions featured more than 500 programmes and events across six major tracks:
- The Women's Track: The Dignity of Women Across the World's Wisdom Traditions
- Countering War, Hate and Violence Track: Peace and Love: Not War, Hate and Violence
- Climate Action Track: Care for Our Earth, Responsibility for Our Future
- The Indigenous Peoples' Track: The Spiritual Evolution of Humanity & Healing Our Mother Earth
- The Next Generations Track: Interfaith Has No Age, Youth Voices for Change
- Justice: Advancing Concrete Change Toward a Just, Peaceful, and Sustainable World