Assistant Editor – 40-60%
Consultancy / Job Description *
* NB: for suitably qualified consultants / candidates it is possible to combine this consultancy / position with the role of Communications Assistant. In this case, candidates are asked to make it clear that they are applying for both.
The Assistant Editor assists the Managing Editor in preparing text manuscripts for publication. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Typesetting academic publications following predefined style sheet in Microsoft Word/InDesign;
- Proofreading, copyediting and editing academic texts in English;
- Designing and adapting book covers targeted at an international audience;
- Processing and presenting publications download statistics;
- Communication with authors during the editing phase;
- Assuring marketing and information on Globethics.net Publications website;
- Supporting the Communications Manager, e.g. in tasks related to preparation of news releases, news items, social media posts and campaign materials; and
- Assistance with routine office tasks.
Note that the description is open for future developments and tasks of Globethics.net. It will be specified and can be modified in the Annual Programme of Globethics.net or whenever appropriate.
Place of work
This position can be taken up by a consultant/s working remotely or by an employee based at the Globethis.net Head Office in Geneva, Switzerland. Those wishing to apply as an employee would be required to be resident in the Geneva region and to have a valid work permit.
A minimum of 3 years' experience in publishing and / or communications, preferably in an international environment.
- English mother tongue preferred, full professional proficiency in English is required
- Other languages (e.g. French, German, Spanish, etc.) would be an advantage
- A first level university degree in ethics or in a related field
- Additional training in editing, graphic design and/or software applications related to publishing management is an asset
Knowledge and skills
- An eye for detail
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word, working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- A background in graphic design—good knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (particularly InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop)
- Experience as an academic author in Human Sciences (optional)
- The ability to manage changing priorities, numerous ongoing tasks and conflicting deadlines
- The ability to solve problems related to information architecture
- Good general culture in philosophical ethics, theory of management and the humanities is an asset
Interested and qualified consultants / candidates are invited to apply with a motivation letter and CV to email@example.com by Friday 14 August 2020.