The Assistant Editor assists the Managing Editor in preparing text manuscripts for publication. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Typesetting academic publications following predefined style sheet in Microsoft Word/InDesign;
- Proofreading, copyediting and editing academic texts in English;
- Designing and/or adapting book covers targeted at an international audience;
- Processing and presenting publications download statistics;
- Communication with authors during the editing phase;
- Uploading content on printing website. Assuring marketing and information on Globethics.net Publications website;
- Supporting the Communications Manager, e.g. in tasks related to the preparation of news releases, news items, social media posts and campaign materials; and
- Assistance with routine office tasks.
Tasks of Globethics.net are subject to small adaptations. Note that the description is open for future developments and career growth. It will be specified and can be modified in the Annual Programme of Globethics.net or whenever appropriate.
Place of work
This position is open for candidates working on a mandate basis abroad or as an employee based at the Globethics.net Head Office in Geneva, Switzerland. Those wishing to apply as an employee would be required to be residents in the Geneva region and to have a valid work permit.
A minimum of 3 years’ experience in publishing and editing, preferably in an international environment.
- English mother tongue preferred, full professional proficiency in English is required
- Other languages (e.g. French, German, Spanish, etc.) would be an advantage
- A first level university degree in ethics or in a related field
- Additional training in editing, graphic design and/or software applications related to publishing management is an asset
Knowledge and skills
- An eye for detail
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word, working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- A background in graphic design—good knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (particularly InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop)
- Experience as an academic author in Human Sciences (recommended)
- The ability to manage changing priorities, numerous ongoing tasks and conflicting deadlines
- The ability to solve problems related to information architecture
- Wide general culture in philosophical ethics, human rights, theory of management and/or other fields and disciplines from the humanities is an asset
Interested candidates are invited to apply with a motivation letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight CEST on Wednesday 15 September 2021. The successful candidate would take up the position on 1 October 2021 or as soon as they are available.